Sunday, June 11, 2017

Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD)
and
 Hypersensitivity


Welcome back Blog Readers, Followers & Visitors!

If you were here for our last few Blog Sessions, then you will have a Journal full of great notes.  We have been adding new Followers to our Blog with each new Session, which leads us all to believe that there are more people who have others in their life that have the issues that we have been discussing.

If you have not already done so, please Bookmark our exciting Blog, and add your email address over in the far right-hand column where it says, "Follow by Email".  That way, you won't miss a thing!

We are writing in our Journals, and learning lots about Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD).  What we are here to talk about today is this . . .

How people with Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD) have the capacity to experience great emotional depth because of their hypersensitivity.  Interesting right?

YES!

So get your Journal and your ink pen, because you are going to find this discussion to be fascinating.

"Oh boy, here we go!"


What is Hypersensitivity?

Hypersensitivity is not a disease, nor an illness.  It is a measurement on your body’s sensitivity scale that is in the category of undesirable reactions in your body and mind. Your current sensitivity is based on how your body is currently wired i.e. life experiences to date, in combination with your current reaction to external stimuli.

However when you are in the hypersensitivity range on the scale, your body, mind and energy system cannot function effectively as your system is out of sync, and therefore more vulnerable to being affected or influenced by outside stimuli.
Let's talk about "hypersensitivities" . . .
In response to your body being hypersensitive it goes into overdrive, your immune system becomes compromised, your coping mechanism and ability to adapt become less resilient.  With it comes a range of symptoms on varying levels including – emotional, psychological, energetic, physiological and behavioural.
If you are fortunate your symptoms pass by without causing much disturbance.  However in the high percentage of cases of people (maybe like yourself or someone you know) where your body is hyper-sensitive, and not functioning to its full potential, you can’t make that long-term or speedy recovery.  So the hyper-sensitivity is your body’s reaction to how it is currently wired and your symptoms are the result of being hypersensitive.  Then there is the realisation that you are no longer able to cope or integrate in to the environment that you work or live in.
Now, let's turn the page to the question of how OCPD comes into the picture...
Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (OCPD) is a condition characterized by the anxiety of one’s own emotions and addiction to negativity.
Do you have an addiction to negativity?  Do you know someone who has an addiction to negativity?  If so, not a pretty sight or "feeling" for you, or anyone around you ~ right?  Who wants to be around a negative person on a long-term basis?   "Not I."
If you are interested in gaining an understanding, then you may ask, "What is the cause of OCPD?"
CAUSE
Some people (the highly sensitive and gifted) are born with a highly sensitive nervous system – there is nothing wrong or abnormal about this.  They most likely inherited their high sensitivity from their parents (one or both may be highly sensitive).  Those with a highly sensitive nervous system are predisposed to feeling their emotions intensely (emotional overexcitability).  This intensity makes it more challenging to accept, endure, and recover from uncomfortable life experiences, hurt, and disappointments.  While undergoing emotional pain, it is not so uncommon for people to come to conclusions that draw out a response, both emotional and behavioural, that adds to the human experience of melancholy.  For the sake of simplicity, these conclusions shall be referred to as “negative” thoughts. Although it may be normal, even human, to have a negative thought in difficult times, highly sensitive people who feel their emotions intensely are often driven by their emotions to replay their thoughts in their head in frequencies that cause problems in the long run.  This replaying of thoughts is what the clinical world of psychology calls “obsessions.”  After some time has passed, during which repeated thoughts and responses have strengthened neural connections within the brain, the highly sensitive person then becomes addicted to his or her many ways of thinking and coping.

Please Note:  The main difference between OCD and OCPD is that OCD is characterized by the anxiety of one’s own imagination while OCPD is characterized by the anxiety of one’s own emotions.


NOTES FOR YOUR JOURNAL:

SYMPTOMS
(The Gift Of OCPD Criteria – not all symptoms have to be present)
  1. Thinkaholism
    • UNDERLYING NEGATIVE BELIEF: “I need to figure out how to be ok or else I will not be ok.”
  2. Workaholism
    • UNDERLYING NEGATIVE BELIEF: “I am not good enough as a person.” “I need to create my value.”  “My value comes from what I do.”  “I am on my own in the pursuit of feeling good about who I am as a person.” “My future will not be ok unless I work as hard as I can now.”  “Things will not be ok unless I use my time perfectly.”
  3. Perfectionism, Anger, Guilt
    • UNDERLYING NEGATIVE BELIEF: “My high standards must be met or else things will not be ok.”  “I will be rejected by others if I am not perfect.”
  4. Regret, Restlessness, Indecisiveness
    • UNDERLYING NEGATIVE BELIEF: “I am worse off because of the things that I have and have not chosen to do.”  “Unless I make up for my lost time and choose perfectly, I will always remain in regret.”
  5. Resentment, Unforgiveness
    • UNDERLYING NEGATIVE BELIEF: “I am worse off because of the way he/she/they treated me.”  “He/she/they do not care.”  “The world would be a better place without him/her/them.”  “I expect him/her/them to fail and disappoint me.”
  6. Isolation, Inability to Delegate
    • UNDERLYING NEGATIVE BELIEF: “It is better to be safe by myself than to get hurt and rejected by others.”  “Doing things on my own is the only way to get things done right.”
  7. Miserliness, Hoarding
    • UNDERLYING NEGATIVE BELIEF: “I will not have enough for myself in the future unless I save now.”  “Others will just take advantage of my generosity.”
  8. Purposelessness, Idleness (for the more severe case of OCPD)
    • UNDERLYING NEGATIVE BELIEF: “There is no purpose/point in life.” “We are merely like the animals on the earth with no greater purpose than to go along with this perpetual pointless cycle we call life.” “There is nothing more.”
  9. Hopelessness (for the more severe case of OCPD)
    • UNDERLYING NEGATIVE BELIEF: “There is nothing that I can do.”  “I am powerless.”  “I cannot bring any sort of positive change to my condition/the world.”
  10. Antinatalism (for the more severe case of OCPD)
    • UNDERLYING NEGATIVE BELIEF: “Life sucks.”  Life is not worth living.” “I rather have not been born into this world.”  “It would be cruel to bring children into this unfair wretched world.”  “I rather not have children so that I do not pass down my illness to them.”
  11. Misotheism (for the more severe case of OCPD)
    • UNDERLYING NEGATIVE BELIEF: “There is no such thing as good.” “There is no God.” “If there is a God, God does not care.”

We have much more to cover!

UP NEXT:

More on how people with Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD) have the capacity to experience great emotional depth because of their hypersensitivity.

and

The difference between Empaths and Highly Sensitive People


~ See you in our next Blog Session dear Friends ~

Peace, Love & Light,

 René


© Copyright - René Allen - JUNE 2017 - All Rights Reserved
  


No comments:

Post a Comment